Mood: sleepy, exhausted, slightly cranky...
The title of this post sounds like an episode of Dr. Phil...and a bad one at that. However, bear with me. One of the things that I try to do for myself every day (as part of the doing nice things for myself campaign) is to talk positively to myself. It helps to have a partner in this and while my mother has been one for a long time...Caitlyn is the best. In part I suppose that is due to physical proximity. And I do the same thing for her that she does for me.
I came home tonight from work (at 8:30) feeling...defeated. There are a few things that I find overwhelming and disheartening...and I know that not everything is going to be 100% smooth sailing. I honestly didn't expect that. What I didn't expect was all these weird emotions bubbling up as a result...this is not the forum to discuss the issues I'm facing. However, I will say that...while I intellectually KNOW I can handle all of this...on particularly challenging days....I have a hard time believing in myself.
Which is where positive self talk comes in. It's all too easy to say things like "I suck" or "wow, I'm stupid" or the glance in the mirror followed by "who IS that?" And on the surface...they're just words. But if you say them to yourself constantly (or all your life) you start to believe those words. You internalize those thoughts. So as a part of this "better" life I've pledged NOT to engage in negative talk about myself. And Caitlyn makes sure I don't do it. Gentle reminders and some days a little slap on the wrist and she sets me straight.
So today (especially tonight) I renew my vow to practice the art of positive self talk! And then I shall internalize positive thoughts...and bring good things my way!

No comments:
Post a Comment