Search This Blog

2010/10/08

Meet Ashley....

Mood:  accomplished, tired, enthused, slightly lonely, vulnerable


As of today it's been 3 days of "real" work.  This, of course, has meant paperwork (health benefit forms are CONFUSING), going through old paperwork, and of course creating my own paperwork.  Which hasn't been all bad.  Sometimes I like to zone out to spreadsheets and writing exciting blurbs encouraging participation is sincerely enjoyable to me.  However, there's the need in me to create, and to be creative.  As luck would have it, I'm currently in a career that allows for a lot of creative expression.  And one of the best ways to introduce myself to a congregation is to creatively display hints at my personality.  Also, I'm shy so it's easy to have a piece of work to talk about.  So this went up:





Since the church is participating in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF I wanted to make sure people knew...it's the 60th anniversary and it's really important to me that youth know THEY can make a difference...it's not just up to "big" people to change the world.  The sooner you help get that message across...well the better.  And Caitlyn helped me make the pumpkins as well as helped with the actual putting up of the bulletin board so much thanks.


Once I had that bit of creativity done there was something left...so I put up a Happy Birthday bulletin board celebrating all of the birthdays for the month (but for privacy I will not post that pic here).  And, as the church has numerous bulletin boards, I wanted to get one more done before Sunday (my first OFFICIAL Sunday!!!).  I've always wanted church media (be it visual arts, music, decorations, etc...) to be "non churchy."  I know that sounds weird, but I have my reasons.  I mean you go to church and there are always generic "We Love Jesus" posters and "God is GREAT" signs and there is something comforting about them...but kids need to be "dazzled."  I know, I know part of me cringes at religion having to play games...but let's face it...we live in 2010 and sparkle, glitz, and glamour are attractive (regardless of your age if you're being honest).  So I've been updating what "church" bulletin boards look like.  Here's the one outside the church's library:




This pic went sideways...I can't get it figured out...and you can't see it in much detail...but there's a "Meet Ashley" section including some of my "favorites," inspirational quotes, and of course what major events are taking place this month. 


I'm going to work on becoming more assertive (slowly but surely) and in the meantime I'm going to take things one day at a time...continue to be creative...and do nice things for myself. 

(PS - finishing the bulletin boards before Sunday WAS my nice thing....)

1 comment:

  1. Love it... I didn't know "How Great Thou Art" was your favorite hymn! Live and learn...

    ReplyDelete