Search This Blog

2010/10/10

Confessions of a Gleek

Mood:  exhausted, excited, anxious, sick


My stomach is upset...and has been for much of the afternoon.  So after all the excitement of this morning (more on that in an upcoming post) I really wanted to just take this afternoon and slow down a bit.  I've been kind of rushing from day to day since Wednesday...I feel like Wednesday was a month ago already.



After making a deliciously indulgent lunch of chicken nachos (with fresh guacamole) Caitlyn and I did some menial tasks around the apartment.  Then I took a nap.  And then...business time.







No, that picture is not a mistake...and yes, it is from glee.  As Caitlyn and I have opted for internet service in lieu of cable (both is not an option...) we don't get to see our shows.  Which isn't a huge burden because, in all honesty, we really only watch a few shows faithfully.  Namely, The Soup (which is NOT available on Hulu sadly) and glee.  We throw in SNL (but that's almost exclusively through Hulu as we can't stay up that late....) and of course The Office, Parks & Rec, and Community (we LOVE Joel McHale...)...but with Hulu we can watch almost all of our programming...just a little later than the rest of the country.



Somehow Caitlyn and I got WAAAAAAAAAAAY behind on glee and hadn't even finished the end of the first season.  So today, the second and third discs of the first season so we can catch up with the new season (and keep current then!).  Honestly, that show stresses me out.



While vegging out in front of the tv was my nice thing for myself (and truly nice because I adore this program) I realized that this show stresses me out because it takes me back to high school...and as I am now an educator of sorts...I find watching it puts me under a certain amount of stress.  See, while I may not be THAT far out of high school....8 years is nearly an eternity in a culture that changes as frequently as we change underwear.  And this is clearly reflected in glee...example...when I was in high school Britney Spears was just starting to cause controversy...and 8 years later she has a tribute episode of glee....see what I mean?  So how do I keep up with everything these kids today are facing?  How can I let them know they're okay?  Just as they are....



Well, I have some theories.  But I assume that for now, my course of action will be dictated by my intuition (which I know trust thanks to a certain Irish lad).  And while indulging in 5 hours of glee, I realized that my nice things are already affecting others...as they will dictate how I treat myself and the people around me.  While I don't have all the answers to make everything okay and pretty...I CAN without a doubt tell these kids (no matter how good OR how badly they think they have it) that it ALWAYS gets better, that they DO matter, and that they ARE INTENSELY loved AS THEY ARE RIGHT THIS SECOND.  By telling myself that...and now truly believing that...I can share that.  And the beat goes on....

No comments:

Post a Comment