Search This Blog

2011/08/17

What's in a Name?

Mood:  excited....sick...scared....content




So...this morning I posted on Jeff's fb wall....as he was posting on mine...that we get married in 31 days.  31 days!!!!!!  


This past weekend, Jeff and I met up with Mommy and Daddy (mine) and picked up pretty much everything they had for the wedding.  Including the dress.  The dress!!!!!  This is all so exciting and humbling and amazing.  


One year...and a few days ago...I started this blog.  Thinking about that, I remember where I was.  What I was doing.  What I was hoping I would be doing.  I was praying that I would soon be a Director of Christian Education.  I currently am.  


And this year?  I'm looking forward to a new title:




While gaining the title of wife, (step)mother, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law...I'm losing some.  


I have resigned from my position as Director of Christian Education.  While there have been a multitude of events and happenings that led to my decision...the only one that I need to discuss here is that it's part of my new life.  Moving forward.  Leaving some things behind.  But taking the most important things with me.


It's so odd how we identify ourselves by names and titles and roles that we play.  We are workers.  We are friends.  Above all, we are human.  And all we can ask for on any given day is that we do our best given what we've got.  And that we find the joy in what we have, what we want, and what we're willing to make happen.


As I leave behind my professional title (and office with my own stained glass windows...) I find that I'm sad...but content.  I take with me the most satisfying and important part of my job:  the relationships I formed with the youth here.  And I leave behind the drama and the anxiety and the negative feelings.


Moving on isn't always about moving up...sometimes it's just the movement that's important. The change of a name.  The letting go of a defining role.  The understanding that you still exist even if a  change in title makes you unsure that you do.


Today's better thing?  The thing that makes me feel good and happy?  Looking at the cosmetic case I purchased for myself for the honeymoon.  Grieving the loss of my professional title (uh...not to mention the CB from my last name....eeek!) while remembering that I'm still me.  I'm the person who started this blog last August, the CE position in October...only now I'm a bit wiser, far healthier, certainly less single (YAY)...and I have an impending name change. 





No comments:

Post a Comment