Search This Blog

2011/03/18

Smile Kid...

Mood:  put it in writing....


I've blogged before about how I am incredibly resistant to change.  Of nearly any sort.  Except for clothes.  And hair.  Underwear also.  That changes frequently.  Anyway...the point is, I typically am afraid of all the "what ifs" that come with changing things.  The problem with asserting that I don't like change and this blog?  Well...they are kind of diametrically opposed.  I mean the word "change" is in the title for Christ's sake.  


And this blog has changed since I started writing it...as has my life.  I have changed in general.  There have been huge changes, minor changes, smart changes, dumb changes...you get the idea.  I was texting with my womans last night and this morning.  She had just finished (this morning) her 4th of 12 hour overnight shifts in a row.  She was painting her toenails (HOT PINK) and indulging in "her time" because of...get this shit...me.  That's right...I inspired her a bit.  


I'm fairly certain that everybody is aware of the need to take time out every so often.  You won't make it out of this life alive if you can't stop and pamper yourself sometimes.  And it doesn't have to be crazy big...it can be painting your toenails and texting a friend.


With that in mind...as you've been following this blog (or not...in which case feel free to read old entries) I've been doing my fair share of dating.  First dates, non-dates...and other random assortments of social interactions.  Last night?  Another first date.  I've blogged before about hating them.  There's something kind of inherently evil about the first date.  I feel like it wasn't always this way though.  For example, Adam and Eve?  That could have been super awkward but at least they had the whole world to themselves so they didn't have to worry about making fools out of themselves publicly.  Plus I mean...they had the whole freaking garden to talk about..."that IS a nice bush" (yeah...I did).


Anyway.  So a first date.  On St. Patrick's day.  With no alcohol.  And sushi.  Incredibly festive, I know.  But it was actually...fantastic.  While driving I found this in the KIA (which is going goodbye foreverrrrrrrrrrr soon!)







When I was smoking I had lighters stashed everywhere (you can NEVER find one) and that...sadly...included my sister's car.  I was looking for a tissue when I found this.  Uh...luck of the Irish?  I think so.  It was a sign from the KIA that the date was going to go well.  And then:







That's right ladies and gentlemen, romance is not dead.  I honestly don't even remember the last time I got flowers from a man.  Other than my father.  Which while greatly appreciated...just isn't quite the same.  And on a first date?  In my favorite color?  Major points right there.  The point scoring continued as he opened my car door.  I think the last time that happened was........prom?  Not certain.  I think it's kinda sad how impressive the "little" things really are.  But seriously...that's what life comes down to.  On a day to day basis it doesn't matter how many Rolexs you own...you can really only wear one at a time anyway.  What does matter though, is being surrounded by people that you care about...that care about you...and that show you they do.


I'm not planning a wedding or...more accurately adding anything to the one I have planned (and have had planned for probably 4 years or so.....) but I did have a first date that...didn't actually feel like a first date.  It was just...kinda...I don't know...


But I do know this...I've been smiling pretty much all day.  Staring at the flowers on my vanity is making me incredibly happy...as is listening to music and writing.  


I've acknowledged before that change is inevitable...and what I'm realizing today is that...that's a good thing.  And often...it's not even that scary.






Enjoy.  And I'll continue with the ongoing story of my life by trying to remember it's not ALL about the shoes and the cars and the purses...but the little things...and the changes that lead you to them.  




 

2 comments:

  1. Love the song, LOVE the pink roses (you know that did me in!) Happy that the date went well and super happy to hear that others are finding inspiration here. However, lets not downplay the role of the green wedges ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. You know I've always loved that song and you! Glad to hear the date went well.

    ReplyDelete