Mood: yesterday was Thursday and someday I'll fly away
When I was in high school, I always felt like I would definitely grow up and move away. I never said so, because, I love where I grew up. Sure Emmaus has it's issues....seriously Chestnut Street is sooooooooooo packed....and Cedar Crest Blvd? Ugh.
Beyond that though, it was awesome. Next door to Philly, close to New York City and Washington DC. A big enough community that you can remain relatively anonymous (which if you like your privacy...as I do...that's a bonus) but small enough that you know people. The school system was excellent when I went through, academics were insanely good. That sentence obviously proves my masterful education. But in all seriousness, when I got to college, freshman and sophomore year of general arts courses...especially English...were like sitting through my high school courses all over again. And Calculus? Everything from my high school course taught pretty much word for word.
So, I loved Emmaus. And I still do. Even though I was born in Kansas (ROCK CHALK) I will forever consider Emmaus my home. And the house that my parents live in...even if they move tomorrow...that will always be "my house."
When I imagined myself graduating and moving away...I never saw where...or what I'd be doing...which is most likely why I've drifted through much of my post high school and college life. One thing I NEVER saw was moving to Iowa. Kansas? I entertained the idea frequently. I happen to love the city of Lawrence and sometimes still think of doing some grad work at KU. Iowa was just never in the picture for me. I loved visiting Storm Lake as a kid...but it was never someplace I dreamed of living. A town where everybody knows everybody and prejudices are old, family name confines (yes...I mean that rather than defines) you...this is not a place for me.
But I'm here. And I'm glad I'm here. Okay, technically I'm not in Storm Lake. That's 15 miles north on 71 (look how good I'm getting with directions since moving here!). I officially live in Early. A "town" with a population smaller than my high school graduating class.
No, this is certainly not where I pictured myself at 26 (almost 27). Though I suppose being perfectly honest I never had a clear vision of what I would be, who I would be, and where I would be at this age. If I had...who knows?
I've learned a lot in the past few years. Spending it single, mostly by myself with just my sis around...I kind of had to know who I was. And learn who I wanted to be. It's a hard thing to get acquainted with yourself, but I promise if you do...you'll never regret it. And while I know who I am today...I still don't know who I'll be in the next 5 years. Or even who I'll be tomorrow. But, at least having a general idea of what I'm all about makes it much easier.
And someday...who knows? Maybe I will have that sweet penthouse in NYC or the castle in Ireland. For now though, I'm okay in Iowa (most days) figuring things out. And now...I'm not doing it alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment