Search This Blog

2014/09/23

On Falling in Love on a Tuesday Afternoon

Mood: proud, grateful, blessed


Today, Jeff picked Malcolm up from school. While I'm moving 100 times more and better than I was anticipating after the ACL reconstruction, I'm still not ready to take Malcolm to and from school yet. Jeff walked in carrying the mail and Malcolm had his backpack.

Jeff got Malcolm a snack and returned to work. Malcolm asked if he could watch cartoons. I said yes, but first he had to read a book that he had brought home from school. I asked him to read it to Jeff and I. The last time he brought a book home, I helped him through it once and then he read it back to us.

Not today. Today, Malcolm sat down, opened the book and stole my heart once again. Malcolm read the book "I Like" to us making only one mistake. I wanted to cry tears of joy, but I didn't want to confuse Malcolm at all. So we gave major high-fives and told him how immensely proud of him we are. This is the first time he's read us a book all by himself. And I fell in love all over again with this kid and his father.

When I was dating, I decided I did not want to date a man with children. I didn't want the baby mama drama and I, selfishly, wanted to be the center of attention. Instead of sticking to my rule, I fell in love with Jeff. Partly because of what an amazing father he is.

Today while Malcolm read to us, I sat next to him in awe. Moments like this remind me that sure, not everything is perfect. Jeff and I are still working towards our own place and towards paying off chemo and hospital, dental and now ACL surgery bills. Yet, in the little family that consists of myself, Jeff, Malcolm, Zooey and Yoda, we truly do have everything. I am constantly reminded of the millions of reasons that I love these boys and today, I could not be any prouder.

Malcolm, I am so impressed with how intelligent, articulate and kind you are. Jeff, I do not even have words to adequately express my love, admiration and respect that I have for you. I never imagined this much happiness in my life from two males that are insanely stubborn and would live on planet Cybertron if they could. Yet here I am. In love. All over again. On a Tuesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment